The 11th World Model Expo will also host the world’s largest contest, or judged exhibition as it is officially referred to. Expect to see over 3.000 pieces, figures and scale models (ordnance).
For those of you who are not familiar with the World Model Expo and the way the judged exhibition works, we will gather all info on this page.
But first, a brief history and explanation:
THE OPEN SYSTEM EXHIBITION STRUCTURE:
World Model Soldier Federation expositions all employ the Open System Exhibition Structure.
The Open System was developed in the early 1980s by the late Sheperd Paine, and has been in common use at all major shows in North America for nearly four decades. It was introduced to international exhibitions at the first World Expo, held in Washington D.C. in 1993.
The central premise of the Open System is to recognize good modelers and encourage promising ones.
The Open System reduces categories to a minimum and eliminates the concept of a fixed number of awards (i.e., first, second, third) given by narrow category, allowing the level of work on display to determine the number and level of awards given. Thus, it is a juried exhibition and not a contest as such; as many awards are given as there are deserving pieces, and no modeler receives an award at the expense of, or instead of, another deserving modeler.
Understanding the WME 2020 contest
In case you are not familiar with a World Model Expo and the Open System, and its definitions and (sub) divisions we suggest that you take some time to read the following information :
ORDNANCE: With ordnance we mean scale models, which is basically everything that is not a figure.
The contest is split up into three major categories: Historical figures, Fantasy Figures and Ordnance (scale modelling) each with their own Best of Show Awards.
Each division is split up in two subdivisions: Open and Painting
The Open Division (Figures Open Historical & Figures Open Fantasy) is for scratch built/extensively converted figures.
Open Ordnance is for vignettes, dioramas and boxed dioramas.
The Painters Divisions: Figures Painting Historical, Figures Painting Fantasy and all Painting Ordnance, are for painted stock kits and figures.
The Masters level is for those modelers who wish to exhibit their work, and have it judged, alongside the best modelers in the world.
There are no qualifications or credentials required for a modeler to enter work in the Masters Level divisions. Although referred to as a “Masters” level, it is open to any who wish their work to be judged at the highest level.
The Standard Level is for modelers with developing skills who feel they are not yet ready to be judged among the Master modelers.
The Junior level is the third level is and meant for young modelers, twelve (12) and under.
Modelers in this age group are still free to enter their work at either the Standard or Masters levels, instead of the Junior Level, should they choose to do so.
At WME 2020 three Best of Shows will be awarded: one for best Historical Figure, one for Best Fantasy Figure and one Best of Ordnance.
WME 2020 COMPETITION
We recommended that you read the classes, rules and the judging criteria closely. This will help you to understand our contest and you will be able to select the correct class to enter your model(s). You will also find more detailed information about the contest than you can see on this page only.
We have taken several measures to avoid long queues during registration. You will find how we intend to do that and what you can contribute to ensure a fast and smooth registration process during the show and avoid possible cues.
We would like to remind you that the contest area will be closed during judging, which means that the contest room will close on Saturday 4th July from 15:00 onwards and will only re-open to visitors on Sunday 5th, at 10:00 until closing of the show
AWARDS AND CEREMONY
The awards ceremony is held on Sunday 5th July and starts at 15:00 hrs, in the Brabant hall a.k.a. the WME restaurant. You can find the location on the floor plan on this website.
On Sunday morning you can already see if you have won a medal. We will mark all medal winning models with a generic card. These cards only indicate that you won a medal, but do not reveal which one. We wish to keep that surprise until the awards ceremony.
Highly Commended (HC) awards will not be handed over on stage, but you will find a card added to your winning model, which you can use to claim your HC award at the contest registration desk on Sunday between 13:00 and 15:00.
We welcome all prizes by vendors or clubs, but in order to reduce the length of the awards ceremony we kindly request all vendors and clubs that offer a prize to add that prize to the model/figure on the contest tables.
Important to know:
- Participation fee for the WME contest is € 22.50 (incentive included) for pre-registered participants and € 35 for registrations made on July 3 or 4 at the show.
- Pre-registrations for the contest should be paid in advance through our online registration system.
- The contest participation fee does not include the entrance fee to the show! You can obtain entry tickets separately online or at the tickets counters at the show.
- Participants are requested to pick up their contest papers (see below) and place their models on the contest tables on Friday 3 July between 10:00 to 16:00 and on Saturday 4 July from 10:00 to 12:00. Model registration closes at 12:00 on 4th July, strict!
- For security reasons picking up your models from the contest tables is allowed on Sunday 5th July from 15:30 onwards only, no exceptions will be made!. You are participating in a unique event, the World Model Expo, and you are kindly requested to plan your journey back home accordingly.
- Model-pick up at the WME 2020 will be under guidance. Again, for security reasons we cannot allow all participants at once to collect their models. A maximum number of participants will be allowed into the contest area from 15:30 onwards. When leaving the contest area with your models you will be required to show the models and your registration list (which you receive during registration) to the contest security stewards on duty.
- Highly Commended pins are not given on stage, but should be collected at the contest registration area on Sunday 5th July between 12:00 and 15:00. In case you have been awarded a HC, you will find a small card on the contest table next to your model. Take this card, and your registration list with you, in order to collect your HC award.
- Gold, Silver and Bronze medals will be awarded on stage at the award ceremony that starts at 15:00 on Sunday 5th July.
There are two options for entering the competition:
1. PRE-REGISTRATION (preferred method)
Through the online registration application EMPEROR, from 6 April until 20 June 2020.
In Emperor you will create your own account, using your own password. You can make any changes on-line until pre-registration closes on 20th June 2020. Changes after that date can only be made by our staff at the contest desk at the WME.
Pre-registration is only valid when you have paid the € 22.50 contest fee online.
On 3 and 4 July, there will be four desks especially for pre-registrations.
One desk will be for pre-registrations that require changes (e.g. adding or deleting models. This sometimes happens, but takes a bit more time to process) , and two more desks are for pre-registrations that do not require changes . We split those two desks for participants by alphabet (last name).
Please note that making changes in your pre- registration on Friday or Saturday at the show will slow down the administrative process considerably, so in case you need to make changes, please make them yourself, if possible, before June 20.
Upon arrival at the show, please proceed to the correct desk to collect an envelope that contains your owners list, stickers, cards, and markers to border your display(s).
on 3 July between 10:00 and 16:00 or 4 July between 10:00 and 12:00(!) hrs.
Contest fee for day registrations is € 35
In case you have not pre-registered, you should enter all data yourself at the terminals we have available for you in the contest area. We also provide assistance, should you need any. Don’t hesitate to ask!
READ ALL ABOUT THE CLASSES, RULES AND JUDGING CRITERIA
Registration will open on April 6, 2020. Stay tuned!
TIME TO OPENING OF CONTEST REGISTRATION